There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Bread experiments

My sister and her family gave me a little book on Tuscan bread that just sparked my wonder about other ways of using or otherwise refining my Commons Bread recipe. I started searching online and discovered a whole world of variations on the theme of flour, water, yeast (and usually salt, but not in Tuscan bread).

I've saved a bunch of YouTube videos that talk about different variations which I think can be applied to the Commons Bread recipe, and I'll want to experiment with them in stages. The first is the following, from Bake With Jake. A challenge I have is the dough spreading and sticking during its 2 hour proofing. Jake describes a method of pulling, stretching and tucking the dough to create tension on the surface of the loaf to get it to rise upwards instead of spreading out. He instructs that the loaf should be baked seam-side down, which is contrary to the usual way the no-knead bread is baked.
1 - What are the results from using this method; (a) seam-side down vs.; (b) seam-side up?
 1st - With the seam side down, as Jake promised, the dough stretched seamlessly into a majestic golden dome that gently crackled as the bread cooled. The crust was thin and chewy.
 2nd - Seam side up, with parchment paper underneath to make it easier to flip the bread into the hot pot, worked like a charm. Another lovely loaf with and interesting folded top and powdering of flour.


2 - What is the effect of using this pull, stretch and tuck method on the sponge?
 1st - The sponge had fewer large air bubbles and more small bubbles but still pleasantly glutinous.

 2nd - The effect on the sponge was minimal, it had a similar density to the seam-side down loaf.

2 - Using Parchment Paper
I've used the paper a couple of times now and generally, I'm in favour of it. With a thin layer of flour, it's a really easy way of flipping the bread into the dutch oven if you're making a usual Commons Bread loaf. It's also useful in my single attempt (so far) at making baguette-style bread because it's easier to lift the loaves onto the baking sheet. The thing I noticed, and it may be because I didn't flour the paper enough, was that the loaves stuck to the paper while proofing, and just that much resistance prevented them from puffing up properly.

OTHER ASPECTS TO EXPLORE: Using sea water (boiled); Using parchment paper; Using a pizza stone; Baking just in the oven; Cutting and baking as (a) double recipe and regular-sized loaves (b) single recipe as buns.

QUICKER BREAD
I found this site which contains these two recipes where one makes the Commons bread with a 3 hour rise, and the other, with 1 tsp yeast, makes it with a 1 hour rise. I made the 1 hour rise to good effect, but not the first.
water about about 125-130° F
more kneading
2 tsps dry yeast
1 1/2 cups hot water (up to 130° F)

No comments:

Post a Comment