There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Harissa Paste - Test 1

1 - Ben and Paula had the paste just as a condiment on cheese and crackers and went bonkers for it!
2 - Seven years later, I make my second batch. I have to remember that it's a bit tedious, but really worth it. This time I used about .5oz of dried ancho and 2.5oz of jalapeno, so I adjusted the remaining ingredients to 3/4 of the recipe. It's still very good.

4 oz dried chillies (of your choice, I used Morita) (or fresh) see NOTES
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
Olive oil (minimum 2 Tbsps, see recipe)
Juice from 1 lemon
leaves from 3-5 sprigs of fresh peppermint

  1. Put dried chillies in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to soak for 30 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, toast the caraway, coriander and cumin in a dry pan, shaking to prevent burning, until the seeds start to pop and crackle. Remove from heat and grind the seeds in a coffee grinder or a mortar and pestle.
  3. Once the chillies are soaked, save the liquid. Seed and stem the chillies and give them a rough chop.
  4. In a mortar and pestle or a food processor, combine all the ingredients and process until you get a smooth paste. To achieve the paste consistency, add olive oil and the soaking liquid in equal parts, by the Tbsp-full until the desired consistency is achieved.
  5. To store, put in a glass or non-reactive jar and pour a layer of olive oil on top to prevent oxidation.
NOTES

  • Chillies and their effect:
  1. Guajillo, New Mexico = moderately spicy
  2. Arbol, Puya = spicy
  3. Chipotle, Morita = smoky
  4. Ancho, Mulato, Pasilla = depth of flavour
  5. Roasted red sweet pepper = mild
  • If you have fresh chillies, use twice as much, eg: 8 oz of fresh for 4 oz of dried
  • Powdered chilli like cayenne (super hot) or paprika work just as well at a 1:1 ratio.


No comments:

Post a Comment